These are talks will bring together heads of state, climate experts and campaigners to agree coordinated action to tackle climate change.
This year is the 26th annual global climate summit (COP26) and it is being hosted in Glasgow, UK.
Climate change is the most important environmental issue we all face, and this conference is critical for global climate action. The window for limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees is closing, and actions taken in the next 10 years will be crucial for change.
People across the world are already living with devastating extreme weather heightened by the changing climate.
We all have a part to play to tackle climate change. We must work together - to achieve our climate goals, every Country, every person, every company, every financial firm, bank, insurer and investor will need to change.
What can I do?
It may feel like individual actions are small and insignificant however they all add up to make a huge difference.
Here are some steps you can take to tackle climate change:
- Make sure you switch off lights and electronics when you no longer need them
- Try to go car free. If your journey is local, try walking or cycling instead. It's a great way to get some exercise and appreciate the nature in your local area too. Public transport is also a great option- and can mean you don't have to worry about parking or traffic
- Try to cut down on waste - reduce, reuse and recycle as much as possible! This helps keeps our resources useful for as long as possible
- Reduce food waste- a lot of resources and energy goes in to the production, growing and transportation of food, and still a lot goes to waste. Read our top tips on reducing food waste here
- Access to safe, clean drinking water is something we often take for granted but every drop has to be cleaned causing climate emissions so harvest rainwater to use in the garden, fix leaks as soon as they appear and never leave the tap running unnecessarily
- Meat and dairy production emit a lot of emissions so why not cut back a little on the meat, even swapping one meal a week for a veggie alternative will have an enormous impact
Find out more about COP26 and follow along with updates here: https://ukcop26.org/
More blogs to read: