Like we mentioned in the beginning, reusing is more eco-friendly than disposable alternatives. Even though some straws and cutlery say that they are biodegradable they require very specific conditions and take a long time to break down, and they can still cause a lot of damage to our planet. They can be difficult to recycle too.
Whether you are out having a picnic or having lunch at work, you can easily take your reusable straw and cutlery with you.
You can buy reusable straws and cutlery in a variety of colours, sizes and materials. Here are a few of our favourites on the market:
- Silicone straws: https://amzn.to/3jK52ib
- Glass straws: https://amzn.to/2EfhOoz
- Bamboo straws: https://bit.ly/3hS8OEH
- Stainless steel straws: https://bit.ly/2ElrRIN
- Rubywoo & Chili: https://amzn.to/3g69yFs
- Bamboo cutlery set: https://amzn.to/2DdMyWM
- Mepal Stainless Steel Portable Cutlery Set: https://jland.partners/30P1KS5
- Or just use the ones you already have at home! If you need to transport them you can put them in a reusable bag or wrap them in a beeswax wrap
Looking after our planet
Disposable cutlery and straws can cause a lot of damage to our environment and harm our wildlife. A recent estimate stated that unless drastic action is taken a billion more tons of plastic could end up in our environment by 2040.
On beach cleans, the most commonly found item is plastic straws- and although we have shifted towards paper alternatives, reusable options are still the best for the planet as they create a lot less waste.
- Next time you order a take away, make sure you opt out of the disposable cutlery and straws too to help reduce waste.
- When traveling, always pack a reusable cutlery set and straw- you never know when you might need it!
- Find some more ways you can reuse here